Thursday, January 7, 2010

Some Fruit For Thought

Since fruit is a major part of this Purification Process, I thought it would be wise to share a little of my knowledge with you about how you should be eating it. It’s been known for a long time that fruit doesn’t combine well with other foods. Many of you may have experienced this first hand with some of the digestive problems it can cause. The reason is that fruit contains simple sugars that require no digestion. Meaning they will not stay for a long time in the stomach. Other foods, such as foods rich in fat, protein and starch, will stay in the stomach for a longer period of time because they require more digestion. So if you eat fruit after a meal, the fruit sugar will stay far too long in the stomach and ferment. This is why people experience digestive trouble when eating fruit that way. They then blame that particular fruit for their trouble and claim that they are “allergic” to it.

Let's say you eat two slices of bread and then a slice of fruit. The slice of fruit digests quickly and is ready to go straight through your stomach into your intestines, but its passage is blocked by the bread which takes longer to digest. In the meantime the whole meal rots and ferments and turns to acid. The minute the fruit comes into contact with the food in your stomach and digestive juices, the entire mass of food begins to spoil.

The fruit mixes with the putrefying other food and produces gas and will cause bloating. This is why you hear people complaining "Every time I eat watermelon after dinner I burp" or "When I eat a banana I feel like running to the toilet". All this will not happen if you eat fruit on an empty stomach.
I hope this helps you all learn to incorporate some more fruit into your diet, especially if you were a little weary before hand!

4 comments:

  1. This is good to know. Does the same thing happen if I eat fruit with veggies... say on a salad? Do you suggest I eat my portion of fruit on the cleanse in the morning on an empty stomach, and the rest of the day eat all veggies (first 10 days)? I am loving your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would eat fruits alone on an empty stomach. Combining them with any other food will slow down the digestion of them. On this program you want to limit the amount of fruit intake. Make sure you are eating at least twice as much veggies as fruit. I find it best to eat my fruit in the morning mixed with my SP Complete Shake. Then I try not to eat any other fruit for the day. The main focus should be on the veggies.

    I am so glad you love the blog! If you have any suggestions please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vanessa, this morning (Friday) I had a juice drink (see contents on my blog) it was all fresh juice, and I drank it on an empty stomach, but I still burped a bunch. Any thoughts? Is this a bad thing? Is there something else that I should be doing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A couple of thoughts. One might just be your body adapting to the change. Another reason might be the combination you used of acidic fruit and sweet fruits. The acidic fruits you included were tangerines, granny smith apple, and the blueberries, and the sweet fruit was the banana. I would try sticking to just one type of fruit group-meaning either all acidic or all sweet. Another reason might be because you had the juice for breakfast. When you wake your body is changing pH states from alkaline to more acidic. When you eat fruit is tends to push your body into more of an alkaline state. This battle may cause undue stress on your digestive system. Everybody’s system is different on how it can handle food. Try doing more of a veggie juice first thing in the morning instead of fruit…if sticking to one type of fruit group doesn’t work.

    ReplyDelete