Thursday, January 28, 2010

Standard Process Purification Program- Day 18


When Monday morning comes I do not expect you to go back to your old ways and scarf down a donut and coffee for breakfast! What I do expect is for you to continue on with what you have learned over the last 21 Days. Many of you may not have even realized what that refined, processed, sugar filled food was doing to you until you cut it all out! I have heard “I have never felt better!” so many times this week from you guys, and I love it! So why would you wan to go back to eating the very things that made you feel yucky in the first place? I know there are certain foods that you are just dying to add back in, and that’s fine. So today I want to take some time describing food reintroduction and how to do it when Monday morning comes.

Systematically reintroducing foods from one food group at a time is a great way to figure out which foods will make the cut. This method allows you to gauge how these foods make you feel, and if they cause any problems. Just remember, your body hasn’t dealt with some of the foods in these groups for a few weeks, so you’ll want to introduce each new food in small portions at first.

Also, it is possible to have a food allergy or intolerance that you don’t know about, so one of they key aspects of reintroduction is to keep a journal of how each food makes you feel.

Here's how it works:

You’ll follow the daily diet that you have been following the past 11 days. You'll reintroduce one food from a food group at a time. Let your body be your guide: if you eat toast and feel bloated or gassy, have a headache, or have any other symptom, note it in your journal. If your symptoms are uncomfortable but not severe, wait a few hours and try the food again. And remember, each person is different, so write down what you feel-different people will have different responses to the same food.

If you choose to reintroduce some foods/food groups you eliminated during the purification program, here are some things to remember:


  1. Grains: Choose whole grains, instead of refined grains. Refined grains have most of their nutrients removed and are then enriched, so whole grains-which contain their original fiber, iron, and B vitamins-are a healthier choice. Eat a healthy range of whole grains that include quinoa, spelt, bulgur, steel-cut oatmeal, brown rice, and barley.

  2. Dairy: This group includes products like cheese, milk, yogurt, and butter. If you choose to incorporate these items look for raw organic butter, raw milk, and real cheese (cheese that’s as traditional and natural as possible, the kind of cheese your ancestors have been eating for thousands of years)!

  3. Nuts & Seeds: Nuts and seeds can supply necessary oils in your diet.

  4. Shellfish: Shellfish, like shrimp and mussels, can add important nutrients like protein and iodine to the diet.

  5. Eggs: Eggs are an important source of protein, iron, and B vitamins. You may want to reintroduce eggs after grains, so you can try them with a whole grain muffin. Or you could hard boil an egg and eat it at breakfast or as a snack.

Have fun reintroducing foods back into your diet, but make sure to only add in one food group at a time. This way you know exactly how your body is reacting to that particular food. If you are finding the food cause symptoms for you, I would consider cutting that food out of your diet.

4 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to sharing my success story and weight and inches lost! The eggs, I assume when re-introduced back into my diet, should be hormone, and antibiotic free??? I am looking forward to this life style... the paperwork you gave me at the beginning mentioned a low-carb Mediterranean Diet... any suggestions on where I can find samples of meal plan, recipes, etc.? Thanks, again Dr.Vanessa for taking this journey with me... your input, knowledge, and support was exactly what I needed to make these lifestyle changes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few diets out there that are a Mediterranean based diet are the Flat Belly Diet and the Sonoma diet. These are some of the "real" ways to both lose weight and eat very healthy. The recipes incorporate healthy fats, lots of veggies and lean meats. The cookbooks are great! Try the library to check them out, or browse through at the book store. Another book that is great is Ellie Kriegers cookbook "The Food You Crave"(from the food network).
    Good luck after the program- I feel like I just want to keep on going!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the information on the Mediterranean based diets. I plan on getting a cookbook in the near future, and when I find some really great recipes I will share them with you!

    You are welcome! Thank you for taking the first step to better your health with me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks again for getting me on track to where I can find these. I will check it out, and am looking forward to keep on going too!

    ReplyDelete